Free counters!

22 de setembro de 2013

HF Antenna Project

HAM RADIO #2

Ham Radio... Replacing my Radio Tower !

The option I've took to replace my tribander for one multibander (6-band) beam brought other problems...mainly mechanical ones.
In fact the Optibeam OB13-6 weights 75 kg!
My previous KLM tribander weights 35 kg...

The tower where I had my previous antennas was in steel, home made inspired on Rohn 35. It was almost 20 years old, but still in very good condition.
After lowering the KLM I begun searching around for other Optibeam OB 13-6 owners and , specially, what type of tower they were using with it, what means they have used to hoist it to the top of the tower, etc., considering my local conditions: tower is erected in one city lot, no space for crane whatsoever, and limited space to assemble the antenna on ground. So one big challenge!
I've got in touch with OE6TGD (Gerhard) who, kindly, sent me several photos of his assembly odissey , and I should bow as it was a one-man-job. Incredible ! If this guy has done it, I will do it also! He has assembled  whole antenna in the top of the roof and , alone !, put it in top of the mast.




The man :


Final result !


After this, I've kept searching, and in another completely different scenery I found PY6ZGP (Guido, also DM1GP) at Canavieiras, close to Bahia in Brazil, who has one OB 13-6 up in one aluminum tower with hazer system to hoist the antenna...quite comfortable. Again, very kindly he sent all details about his assembling , also some important tips concerning the infamous unbalance of this antenna...


Below photo shows Guido passing to one local, the 'extra weight' he has inserted inside the boom to compensate the unbalance of this antenna (depending on the place where you assemble the boom-to-mast plate). Consists in one pipe full of metallic litter (about 12 kg he estimates) that goes into the end of the square boom.


Beautiful scenery !



After these 'experiences' and some meditation, I've decided to replace my tower as obviously it was out of question that it will support the high torque and weight of this antenna. So looking for one strong one I had many years ago, the AB-105 Military Tower which belonged to late CT4AT, Don Riebhoff (ex-K7ZZ , 1S1A , XU1DX ) and also my very good friend, to whom I've bought it back in 1987. I've used this tower with KLM monobanders and so, but  about 20 years ago I've decided to maintain only one tribander , and offered AB105 to close friends (I had about 36 m of it) .I've contacted CT1DIZ (Jose Alexandre) that still had 12 m of it in the garden of his mother's house, so I asked him if it will be possible to return it to me...no problem. So off we go.
Knowing these type of towers very well, and after many months of restoring process, it was completely  painted , manufactured many parts (support plates for rotator, new bearings etc) having all these parts hot galvanized, replaced all bolts and nuts,  added proper steps ( and in last section steps in 2 sides) and  finally assembled (and disassembled)  it in my yard in order everything will fit when up...


Home made bearings


Every section numbered and pre-assembled


Proper steps


Sturdy guy wire anchoring point (the tower will be guided in 6/12 m level...just in case...I live about 1 mile from the Atlantic Ocean...)


In the meanwhile I was assembling the antenna in the terrace just close to tower foundation...








So the day arrived and our group of friends (CT1EGW,CT1EEQ,CT1BGE) helped to put it on the air and install all guy wires. Ready to receive the antenna...

CT1EEQ and CT1EGW



CT1BGE (Luis), the 'winchman'...


CT1EGW (left) and CT1EEQ in the tower


Finally